Wednesday, June 30, 2010

"Me" Time

I've been thinking about "me" time and what that means to some people. I just heard someone complaining about not having enough. She just married not too long ago, and made a comment about envying the single life. Some one else replied that you get used to it, you become "one with your husband", and that family time takes up all your time.

WOW. I couldn't disagree more. As a side note, agreeing or disagreeing is generally absolute and not relative. You either agree or disagree, right? ...But I wanted to sound dramatic. Ok, moving along now...

I know people in my family that have adopted that point of view: living a life with no "me" time. You know what happens at the end of the day? When your family is grown and on their own, when you're alone with yourself and no husband around, you don't know what to do. That's because you don't even know who you are anymore. Scary.

I've seen people in that situation (not naming anyone) that become really depressed at that point in their life. Some of our patients are like that. Ever see the movie Failure to Launch? The mom towards the end of the movie is a prime example. Thinking about it makes me want to cry.

So! I always make sure I've got time to myself at least a couple times during the week. Some of my favorite things to do are: read, go have some coffee and read, write short stories, go shopping, make something crafty (like hair accessories, jewelry, paintings), and most of all - go shopping!

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you both, but right now it makes me sad because I'm about to have a whole year of it, non-optional, thanks to the Army. :(

    ReplyDelete