Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Dinner Time - All the Time

Don't know if it's just me, but everyday when I come home the first thing I start is Dinner. I have to think about what to cook, how long it will take, prepare the day before (or end up making a trip to the store), and it feels like it never stops haunting me. I get bored with the same types of food, so I'm quite frequently trying to think of new recipes and how to make them healthy. I guess it's like cleaning or laundry: it never ends.

But enough with the bitchin'. I've got my food in the oven right now as I type. What's that? Already in the oven? Yes, and pretty much done, too. I know last night's crab cakes didn't turn out as firm as I'd have liked, but I'm giving Rachel Ray another chance. It's a 30 min meal, hence the amazing finishing time, and I'm feelin' lazy. SO, don't do me wrong a second time, Miss Rachel. ;)

Shepherd's Pie!

4 potatoes
1 cup light sour cream
pot o' water

Cube the potatoes and boil for like 12 minutes. Drain them and mash with sour cream.


1 lb ground beef
2 carrots diced
1 onion diced
1 cup frozen peas
1 clove of garlic minced
salt and pepper to taste

Cook all this stuff together until it's done.

drizzle of olive oil
2 tablespoons flour
1 cup beef broth
2 teaspoons worcestershire sauce

Medium heat, cook flour in olive oil for a couple of minutes (starts to turn golden brown) then whisk in broth and sauce. Cook until it looks like gravy.

Now - mix the meat and vegs with the gravy. Put in a casserole dish. Layer the potatoes on top. Bake at 250 for however long you feel like.

Go sit down, have a beer, and blog about something.

I LOVE LAZY COOKING.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds yummy! And yes, lazy cooking is the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. According to the recipe analyis - it's only 615 cal per serving. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hmmm... not sure why I said "only" cause that's actually kind of a lot...

    ReplyDelete